Monday, September 24, 2012

5 Goals for Me as a Counselor

The five goals that I would like to accomplish by the time class is over are:
1.       To become more proficient at using technology in counseling.
2.       To become more confident in my ability as a counselor.
3.       To not talk as much during my counseling sessions.
4.       To become a stronger advocate for students in need (help find more resources for students and families).
5.       To gather more counseling strategies and tools for counseling.
I am working hard toward all of these goals and sometimes I feel like my head is about to explode.  I had felt comfortable utilizing technology until now and I have been about to drive myself nuts lately. I invested in a digital camera recorder to help ensure that I get my videos and tapings for this class (praying that it works now…).   Every time that I sit down with a child to begin a session I get sweaty palms and become nervous, but with experience this feeling of anxiety is lessening more and more. I feel more confident when I watch my supervisor counselor and think “oh, I knew to use that strategy or technique”, it helps me feel validated somewhat.  Sometimes I think I talk too much, especially in guidance lessons. I am aware of this and I have become conscious of how much I talk and I try to make my comments more powerful but less ‘talky’. Just as a new teacher yearns for more effective teaching strategies, I have a desire for more counseling techniques that I can use.  I research and watch with open eyes of what other counselors and classmates do. I am like a sponge when someone shares something that has been useful to them.   I do believe that I can come closer to achieving my goals by the end of the semester.  In order for me to come closer to achieving my goals I need feedback from my instructor and peers. I listen with ears wide open to praises and to criticisms. I want to be good at what I do and I too need guidance on how to reach my full potential as a counselor. Thank you to all who in anyway offer insight and feedback to me, I do hear you and try to make improvements on what I am doing!

7 comments:

  1. It is hard not to talk too much when you are school counseling, sometimes. First of all, you do not always have time to listen for hours to one student since you may have 10 waiting in line by your office. Also, when dealing with classroom issues, you need to tell them what to do to make them more successful. Students thrive when an adult shows empathy with them. Empathy comes from the counselor telling personal stories about shared experiences with their students. It is ok to talk when you are counseling but the key is finding the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about finding the balance, and throught his practicum I have learned that time is deifinitely of the essence, in that there is not a lot of time to go around. I have seen that counsleors need to be empathetic and to the point as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While completing my practicum hours, I have noticed how my supervising counselor finds the balance we are all talking about. When dealing with delicate issues, such as abuse and death, she spends a great deal of time listening. Many of her students drop in to gather information regarding colleges and scholarships. During those moments, she doles out lots of advice. I agree that it is all about finding the right balance with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a bit overwhelmed most of the time also. I am still a bit uncomfortable with silence, so I find myself talking more than I think I should too. I also feel unsure of myself and know that I do not know all of the best strategies and when to apply what, I am just afraid that maybe I am not providing the best considering I am so new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am experiencing the same feelings that you are as I move through the counseling experience. Luckily, I have a really helpful site supervisor who is very helpful and I watch and listen to her interactions with students. I have the same feelings that you expressed when I do individual sessions with students. In theory, I know what I need to say and do. But I get caught up in listening to the student and I don't always utilize the strategies that I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m the same way, every time that I’m having an individual session with a student, I become really nervous about the whole situation. I’m always afraid that I’m going to say the wrong thing to a young client. Hopefully over time our anxiety will decline and our confidence, with dealing with the students, will increase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still get nervous everytime I sit down with a client. However, I find that this nervousness may be a good thing. It encourages me to keep looking for new ways to deal with situations, keep researching different techniques, etc. If I did not get nervous, it might be easy to fall into a comfortable pattern and unfortunately this is not a "one size fits all" job.

    ReplyDelete